Gov. Akeredolu Says Akure Explosion was Caused by Vehicle Transporting Explosives

Following a blast that destroyed about 100 houses in Akure on early morning of Saturday, March 28th, the State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu has said that the explosion was caused by a vehicle transporting explosives to a storage facility in a neighboring state.

Governor Akeredolu at the scene of the explosion

The governor in a statement said the vehicle developed a fault while in transit and its consignment subsequently ignited causing a massive explosion at, Eleyowo, a community that is said to be less than a kilometer to Akure Airport. It was reported earlier that the explosion destroyed about one hundred houses, churches and a school with boarding facilities. Watch the video at the site of explosion right here.

Alleged explosion site in Akure

He said, “I have been briefed by the security chiefs that in the early hours of Saturday, March 28th, a vehicle in a convoy transporting explosives to a storage facility in a neighboring state developed a fault while in transit along the Akure Owo Road about 2km from the Akure Airport.

Security personnel and other individuals transporting the ordinances noticed smoke from the vehicle. After several attempts to extinguish the resulting fire failed, the vehicle and its consignment ignited causing a massive explosion that was felt in Akure and its environs.

“Presently, efforts are being made to ascertain if there are casualties. Following my visit to the scene, I have directed that the area be cordoned off to allow the explosive ordinance department/bomb squad to extricate the vehicle buried underground because it is unclear if there are still explosives that are yet to be detonated. Everything is under control and I will be updating the public on any new developments”.

What Nigerians are saying on SM

  • seundreams | Why do I feel it’s all fabrication🙄…carrying explosives🙄 hmm yimu
  • frank_d.tank | Why didn’t they show us the pictures of the exploded vehicles parts
  • pitagunz1 | Lies that was an asteroid 💯.
  • michaeldibia | Bomb explosions that buried the vehicle lol just say you people cooking up lies to cover previous lies from UK government too lol
  • mr_kehn | Our leaders cant even tell an intelligent lie any more.

Coronavirus: FG Bars International flights to Lagos & Abuja

The federal government has barred international flights arriving into the Murtala Muhammed Airport Lagos and the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Director-General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), Capt. Musa Nuhu, on Saturday.

Nuhu explained that the closure of international flight operations at the Lagos and Abuja airports are in addition to the three other international airports in Kano, Enugu and Port Harcourt, which were shut for flight operations on Saturday.

It read: “Further to our earlier letter on the restriction of international flights into Nigeria, we wish to inform you that effective Monday, 23rd March at 2300Z to 23rd April at 2300Z, Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos (DNMM) and Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja (DNAA) will be closed to all international flights.

“This is in addition to the closure of Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano (DNKN); Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu (DNEN); and Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa (DNPO) effective Saturday, 21 March at 2300Z.

“Henceforth, all airports in Nigeria are closed to all incoming international flights with the exception of emergency and essential flights.

“Domestic flights will continue normal operations at all airports.”

This comes as confirmed cases of coronavirus rise to 22 in Nigeria.

How Mikel Obi Gave Up His Contract with Turkish Club Trabzonspor’ Over CoronaVirus

Mikel Obi has revealed that he was ordered by Trabzonspor’s president, Ahmet Agaoglu, to take down his comments on Instagram criticizing the Turkish football authorities for not suspending the season despite the spread of coronavirus globally.

” There is more to life than football. I do not feel comfortable and don’t want to play football in this situation. Everyone should be home with their families and loved ones in this critical time. Season should be cancelled as the world is facing such turbulent times.”- Mikel Obi

Mikel departed Trabzonspor by mutual consent nine months after he joined the club on Tuesday as he felt the Turkish FA was becoming unreasonable over their handling of the pandemic outbreak.

In an interview with The Athletic, Mikel, who has since returned to London with his family, vowed not to return to Turkey again after he gave up his contract.

“They were really upset about the whole thing,” Mikel told The Athletic. “I was told to meet with the president (Agaoglu) in his office one-on-one. He (Agaoglu) asked me to take it down (the Instagram post).

“I told him I wasn’t going to do that. It’s my opinion. This is how I feel. We live in a free world. I have freedom of speech. I can express my opinion.

“I wanted to win the league too but at this point in time, we have to think about what is more important: to save peoples’ lives.

“I want to help in any way that I can to defeat this virus. For us to be out there playing; I don’t think we are helping the global situation. I don’t feel it is right for us to play football.

“UEFA has postponed football. How come they are still playing in Turkey? It’s not right at all. But Trabzonspor were not having it — for me, they don’t care.

“I told them I wanted to go home. They said, ‘If you go home, you’re not coming back.’ I said, ‘OK, I’m going home.

“I explained to the club that I needed to see and be with my kids. They were calling me every single morning, crying on the phone, wondering why their friends were not coming over for play dates, why they can’t touch anyone on the street. I didn’t feel happy every morning lying to my kids, making up stories to explain why in order to try not to make them panic (about COVID-19).

“I knew if I came home, they’d be relaxed because they’d then know daddy was home. I told the club, ‘OK, if that’s what you’re saying, I’m ready to give up my contract. To be with my family, to help the world to do the right thing — everybody needs to stay at home at this point in time’.

“I have taken a financial hit by taking this stance. It is worth every single penny, I’m telling you. To see my kids happy and fine, to know we will survive this together, the only way we can beat this is by being at home with your family, taking care of your family, your neighbor.

“When I arrived back at London Heathrow, it was amazing. My girlfriend has been panicking all week over the possibility of the UK borders being shut and me not being able to come back home, that I’d be stuck in Turkey. Just imagine if this goes on for months? I wouldn’t be able to see my kids, to help my family?

God forbid anything happened to them and I wasn’t there. I wasn’t willing to make that sacrifice.

“Before we hugged, I had to come home and shower, change my clothes and everything. In Turkey, I was not tested or anything like that. I had to make sure I did the right things before touching them.

He also ruled out returning to Trabzonspor.

“I thought, ‘The more this goes on, I won’t be safe out there’. I just kept myself locked up. I went to training and then I would go back to my flat. That is basically all I did until I came home.

“I was doing so well, playing every week. The team was winning, top of the league. We were playing well. I was enjoying my football out there. We had a chance to win the league but I gave that all up to do the right thing.”

“Go back to Trabzonspor? No chance,” he says. “Not with the way they have dealt with this situation.

“We have to look at ourselves sometimes in life and ask, ‘what is more important? Who do I want to be friends with? When I’m in trouble, who is going to look after me?’ And, the way they have dealt with this, I don’t see myself going back to Trabzonspor again.

The former Chelsea and Middlesbrough player however, hopes to return to football again when the virus is defeated.

Mikel at Trabzon

“I hope (there will be offers from elsewhere). I hope I will be back out on the pitch once everything is settled and everyone is back at work, everything is back to normal. I want to be out there as soon as possible. But we have to defeat this virus first.

“I am looking forward to my next chapter. I don’t know where it’s going to be. I want to be closer to home, somewhere in England maybe. But we will see what happens. The best option is where I will go.

“In the meantime, my girls will help keep me fit! I will be in the gym too and if I can, I will do some running outside.”

Coronavirus: FG orders Closure of Schools

The Federal Government, on Thursday, ordered the closure of all the 104 Unity Schools in the country from March 26 in order to prevent the spread of the dreaded Coronavirus.

The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Mr. Sonny Echono who gave the order through the Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, said all the Principals of the Unity Colleges should fast track the on-going second term examinations and close until further notice.

This was announced in a statement by Mr. Ben Goong, Director, Press and Public Relations in Abuja, on Thursday.

The Minister said “the management of all the Unity Colleges should immediately activate the necessary emergency procedures and processes such as the provision of alcohol-based sanitizers and handwashing facilities among others. “Students should strictly adhere to the principles and best practices of good hygiene.”

He also directed the Principals to immediately report any suspicious case to the nearest health authorities, emphasizing that nothing should be taken for granted at this delicate time of the global pandemic.