CoronaVirus | First American Death Confirmed in Wuhan, China

A United States citizen died from the coronavirus in the Chinese city of Wuhan, embassy officials said Saturday, marking the first known American death from the outbreak that has killed hundreds.

The patient was age 60, and died at a local hospital Thursday, the US Embassy in Beijing said. It declined to disclose more details out of respect for the family’s privacy. The coronavirus emerged in Wuhan in December, and has killed 724 people worldwide, mostly in China, where it has trapped residents at home and paralyzed the world’s second biggest economy.

Outside mainland China, it has raced across continents, infecting tens of thousands in 27 countries and territories. The US citizen’s death was reported hours after the evacuation of hundreds of Americans from Wuhan in two flights Friday in what a State Department official described as likely the last chartered flights.

After evacuees arrived in the US, five people housed at the Travis Air Force Base in Northern California were hospitalized with symptoms of coronavirus, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

They were taken to an undisclosed hospital with a fever and are in isolation as they undergo more tests. The passengers evacuated are quarantined at several other bases, including Eppley Airfield in Omaha.

The first evacuation flight on January 29 had 200 Americans who are quarantined at the March Air Reserve Base in Southern California. On Wednesday, two more flights out of Wuhan arrived with a total of 350 passengers. They were quarantined at Travis and the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. Everyone evacuated will be subject to a 14-day federally mandated quarantine. Those who show symptoms will be taken to area hospitals for isolation and treatment.

Kaduna Government Gives Conditions for El-Zakzaky’s Medical Trip to India

The Kaduna State government on Wednesday gave new conditions for granting the embattled leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, known as Shi’ites, Ibraheem El-Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenat, permission to travel to India for medical treatment.

The Kaduna High Court presided over by Justice Darius Khobo on Monday permitted the IMN leader and wife leave to travel to India for treatment, following injuries they sustained during the IMN’s clash with the Nigerian Army on December 15, 2015.

The court order granting the medical leave, signed by Hon. Justice D.H. Khobo

In a statement signed by Samuel Aruwan, Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, the state government said granting the popular cleric asylum would prevent him from facing justice for offences he had been accused of.

El-Zakzaky

A high court in Kaduna had on Monday granted permission to El-Zakzaky and his wife to travel to India for medical treatment after being held in detention since 2015 by government forces.

According to Aruwan, El-Zakzaky must return to face trial for his actions and therefore India or other countries must not accommodate him.

The cleric and his followers are being accused by the government of disturbing public peace and posing a threat to national security.

Aruwan, according to a report by The Cable, said, “Malam Ibrahim El-Zakzaky is facing criminal trial before the Kaduna High Court on charges filed in April 2018. 

“The Kaduna State Government is prosecuting Malam him on an eight-count charge, including culpable homicide punishable with death.

“The Kaduna State Government respects the right of anyone to seek treatment anywhere in the world. 

“But in the case of persons facing trial for serious offenses, necessary safeguards are required to ensure that such persons do not become fugitives from justice or frustrate trial by claiming asylum or the status of political prisoner in the host country.”

Nigeria’s Got Talent as Artists Shared Rarely seen cutting-edge talent on a Twitter hashtag

It all started with an innocuous tweet nearly two weeks ago when Bunmi Olaoye, an artist based in Nigeria’s southeast city of Port Harcourt, decided to start “a hashtag to celebrate and appreciate Nigerian creatives.” The response was stunning with hundreds of Nigerians showing off their artistic talents using #WeAreNigerianCreatives.

Olaoye says he has been “blown away by the feedback” on the hashtag. “I’m trying to reply my non-ending messages,” he told Quartz. Sagir Carpenter, an Abuja-based artist who also participated in the trend, says he’s been inundated with enquiries about his work. “My phone has not stopped buzzing since,” he says. “The #WeAreNigerianCreatives hashtag has given me so much exposure in such a short time with so many people making inquiries. I really think it’s an amazing phenomenon.”

Nnedi Okorafor, the Nigerian-American science-fiction author, also joined in on the fun with a tweet showing covers of her books, including Who Fears Death—a novel HBO will be turning into a television series with George R.R Martin, Game of Thrones creator, as an executive producer.

Okorafor, a 2016 Quartz Africa Innovator, is known for her Afrofuturistic fiction novels and has been signed up by Marvel as one of the writers of its forthcoming Venomverse anthology.

Social media has a good history of helping little-known Nigerian artists become famous. Back in 2016, Oresegun Olumide gained internet fame for his hyper-realist paintings. Even though it was not intended, the #WeAreNigerianCreatives trend caps a great fortnight for Nigerian art.

Last week, Tutu, a newly discovered, decades-old masterpiece by legendary artist Ben Enwonwu, was sold for a record £1,205,000 at an auction in London.